DIABETES, AN EMERGING EPIDEMIC: BURDEN AND OPPORTUNITIES IN BANGLADESH
Dr. Abdur Rafi Chief Research Officer Dhaka Cast Ltd.
Table of contents
Diabetes: an emerging global epidemic
Diabetic burden in Bangladesh
Fig 1: Number of people affected by diabetes in Bangladesh during 2019 (Source: IDF report 2019)
Fig 2: Trend of diabetes patients in Bangladesh from 2010 to 2045 (Source: IDF report 2019:
Economic burden of diabetes
Fig 4: Variations of cost of disease among diabetes patients of Bangladesh (Source: Afroz, A. et al. Type
2 diabetes mellitus in Bangladesh: A prevalence based cost-of-illness study. BMC Health Serv. Res. 19,
Uncontrolled diabetes: a major issue in Bangladesh
- infrequent follow-up check-ups
- use of insulin incorrectly
- low level of education
- residing in a rural area
- unhealthy eating habits
- history of cardiac complications
Burden of diabetic complications in Bangladesh
Lack of awareness and social support: a hindrance for glycemic control
Digital health: a new era in diabetes management
- IDF Diabetes Atlas 9th edition 2019. https://www.diabetesatlas.org/en/.
- IDF report 2019: Bangladesh. https://idf.org/our-network/regions-members/south-eastasia/members/93-bangladesh.html.
- Afroz, A. et al. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Bangladesh: A prevalence based cost-of-illness study.
BMC Health Serv. Res. 19, 601 (2019).
- Afroz, A. et al. Glycaemic Control for People with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Bangladesh – An
urgent need for optimization of management plan. Sci. Rep. 9, (2019).
- Rafi, M. A. et al. A hospital-based study on complementary and alternative medicine use among
diabetes patients in Rajshahi, Bangladesh. BMC Complement. Med. Ther. 20, (2020).
- Afroz, A., Zhang, W., Wei Loh, A. J., Jie Lee, D. X. & Billah, B. Macro- and micro-vascular
complications and their determinants among people with type 2 diabetes in Bangladesh. Diabetes
Metab. Syndr. Clin. Res. Rev. 13, 2939–2946 (2019).
- Ahmed, N. et al. Diabetes knowledge and care practices among adults in rural Bangladesh: A
cross-sectional survey. BMJ Glob. Heal. 3, 891 (2018).
- Shawon, M. S. R. et al. Attitude towards diabetes and social and family support among type 2
diabetes patients attending a tertiary-care hospital in Bangladesh: A cross-sectional study. BMC
Res. Notes 9, 286 (2016).
- Hou, C., Carter, B., Hewitt, J., Francisa, T. & Mayor, S. Do mobile phone applications improve
glycemic control (HbA<>1c<>) in the self-management of diabetes? A systematic review, metaanalysis, and GRADE of 14 randomized trials. Diabetes Care vol. 39 2089–2095 (2016).
- Digital diabetes market will reach $742M by 2022. What drives this growth? – Healthcare Weekly.